Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dear Alaska

I'd like to thank you so much for the lovely and unexpected present you sent our way today. It is, of course, entirely my fault that I was unprepared. After all, what sensible person would assume that a sunny, eighty-degree day on Monday was any indication that there would not be a forty-degree hailstorm on Wednesday? Clearly, my bad. And really, even if I'd known, who's to say I would not have nevertheless chosen to wear a cotton sweater and birkenstocks to walk through vertical rain across a parking lot an inch deep in water to get to my car? It's not like I stockpile woollen goods for cold days or anything. I also hope that you know that you shouldn't worry at all about the mudslides. If we hadn't had those pesky little fires in the fall, the hillsides wouldn't have been denuded; it was just bad planning on our part.

Of course, I do realize that I will be rethinking any sarcasm that you might be sensing in this note come July, when we are living off the tail-ends of the snowpack that we get from storms like this. No snow-pack, no summer water, and as we enter our third year of drought, I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. But maybe next time you could call ahead? After all, while it's merely inconvenient for me not to expect an ice storm and snow at 3,000 feet after a weekend which resembled summer, it's got to be really embarrassing for those nice folks at the National Weather Service who were predicting sixty degrees and sun.

Oops.

Love,
Jocelyn

Meanwhile, two lovely packages arrived yesterday, one of them from my Loopy Swap pal! I have no photos, so I'm going to wait to extol the virtues of the lovely knitting included therein (one item of which was the only sensible thing I wore to work today, and thank goodness for that!) until I can share them with you in all their glory. But you can come out of hiding now, Jessica, and take your bows, because you outdid yourself with this package!

9 comments:

Willow said...

Heheheh.

I called MamaMia in SD this afternoon. "How are you, Sweetie?" "Wet!" "Huh? Why?" "Mumsie, it's raining here!"

Willow looks out the window at her sunshine and Santa Ana winds and wonders at odd weather patterns.

Anonymous said...

How did you get a hailstorm? We just got a mini hurricane. Well, wind.

Anonymous said...

Those of us who got fresh snow last night actually feel lucky, I guess.

Waiting for swag photos here in MN...

EGunn said...

Oh, I love spring...sunny one second, pouring and cold the next. Something for everyone, and yet not nearly enough to make anyone happy. I've definitely headed to work without a rain coat a few times lately and been drenched for my foolhardiness. But you're right; we'll be thankful for the spring rain come mid-August. And just think...it is coming!

mehitabel said...

We just got the rain, but I could see the snow on the mountains this morning--by afternoon it was gone. We are having the Santa Anas too, except that today it was chilly and windy instead of hot and windy. At least the rain helped my flowers survive for another day!

Marianne said...

Oh dear.... admittedly funny but oh, I just keep thinking about your cold wet toes! which I'm sure you treated well when you made it home :^)

Anne said...

Wow, it's weird to hear folks referring to February as spring ... We had torrential rain last week, then sleet, then some snow, then a couple of 40 degree days, and this morning as I head out it is 11 degrees sans wind chill. That's February (and in my book, still winter). Hope your wet feet were merely an inconvenience and not sneeze-inducing.

Can't wait to see those Loopy package photos ....

Bea said...

oh no. We've been having summery weather for the last several days too and now it is in the 30s.

Anonymous said...

Hail!?

How odd.

Poor weather service folks.