Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Off and running

The plan is for this to be my last post before leaving tomorrow, after which I'll be out of touch for a few weeks. My next post, once I get back, will be #300. I'll have to think of something to do about that, I think...

Meanwhile, packing and preparing continues apace. Somehow it feels harder to prep the house to be left in the hands of housesitters than to be left on its own. I think that has to do with the need that I feel to leave things neat and clean, as opposed to simply ensuring that nothing's going to rot and that the garbage is taken out. My list has been run down to the last few items, though, and I'm starting to feel like this is actually going to happen. With a modicum of grace, even.

First, I packed my knitting.
That seems pretty good, no? Here's what's in those little bags:
That's two pairs of socks and half of Hillflowers. I think that should keep me busy enough, and in case it doesn't, I've received excellent walking directions from a local expert telling me how to get from my hotel in Edinburgh to a local yarn store. I like to have a Plan B, just in case.

The girls' suitcases are packed, as are their carry-on backpacks. I'm so glad I checked after them, though. I asked Older Daughter to put her new books -- for reading on the plane, I said, don't start them now! -- into her backpack, which I then double-checked. When I saw it, I was shocked at how full it was and told her that there was no way she could take that much stuff. That was until I looked to see why it was so crammed, and found in her backpack: a) all kinds of papers from her school classes -- But it's my school backpack, Mama! Me: ??; b) her CD case, for reasons which remain unexplained, given that she has an MP3 player with all of her music on it; and c) (most disturbing of all) her wet gym clothes in a plastic bag from the last week of classes when they had a water-play day. You may recall that school's been out for a while now. Eeewww.

My suitcase is also packed. I've squished two weeks' worth of everything (including hiking gear) into a carry-on sized piece of luggage. I'm pretty proud of this, so some of you may have already heard about it. Here's proof:
I'm still wondering whether I wouldn't be wiser to take a backpack instead of the carpet bag, as charming as I find it. My leg's really been bothering me lately, and I don't want to put any more strain on my back than necessary. On the other hand, I won't be carrying it all that much, so... We'll see; I still have almost 24 hours to decide.

This is one of the things I like about a trip like this. It reminds me of how little I actually need to be very well-provided-for, and very happy. I'm guessing that this is going to lead to a huge closet clean-out when I get back, which is a nice side effect, and high time.

So, there it is. We're off. I think Tilly knows we're leaving.
See you on the flip side.

17 comments:

Rachel said...

Bonn Voyage!

One day I will have to come visit you so you can teach me how you do that! (packing so little for 2 weeks of course).

FUZZARELLY said...

Poor Tilly. Our dog Bonnie used to know something was up when the suitcases came out. Sweetie said that Princess and Buster were listless while I was gone this past weekend. He calls them my minions.

Do you read Jean, from Jean's Knitting? She lives in Edinburg. Just wondering.

Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Have a good trip.

EGunn said...

Looks like a great trip! Have fun!

(And good catch on the gym clothes...yuck!)

Willow said...

Enjoy enjoy enjoy! I know you'll have a wonderful time. Glad to know you have a back up plan for yarn.

I never fly anywhere with more than a carry on bag. Matter of pride in packing light. I'm a huge Rick Steves fan.

Lynne said...

Have a wonderful time!

Mary Lou said...

Safe Travels. Aren't you glad you didn't find the wet gym clothes in a hotel room in Scotland?

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I am so jealous. I would love to see Edinburgh. Have a great trip!

twinsetellen said...

Have a wonderful trip! And we all feel a bit like Tilly, knowing we are going to miss you, too.

You definitely have to get to that LYS - how could you miss the chance for local knitting connections!?

Jane said...

Have a safe journey and enjoy your time over here

ruthee... said...

Yep, Tilly knows you are leaving. I hope you have a great trip and I look forward to seeing what is in post #300.

Katie said...

I'm so glad you intercepted that backpack. Imagine had it been searched at the airport! You'd have certainly been surprized then.

Happy travels.

Nana Sadie said...

Have a fabulous time! I'm so impressed with your packing (and that's MY plan for Sock Summit!). Poor Tilly. At least she'll have plenty of company...
((((hugs))))
(my word verification is "jusnedn" - OMG!)

Carrie K said...

Have a great trip!! And check your daughter's backpack on the way home too. :)

I love the story of Gwilim and the Birds.

Bea said...

Like you won't go to that local yarn store anyway... That big bag doesn't look nearly so big with all the little bags next to it.

Somehow our dogs always know we are off to somewhere too. Usually because my sister or Chris' comes over with a suitcase...

twinsetjan said...

I'm already looking forward to hearing all about the trip...and seeing the knitting that results. Have a great time!!

Alwen said...

I usually check my husband's packing, too. He almost always either forgets underwear, or socks, or both. (But I don't think he's ever left wet clothes packed from a previous trip.)