I still have at least one more Scotland post tucked away, plus one finished object to block and show you, as well as Younger Daughter's socks to photograph and display (not to mention the new pair I cast on), but I've been fiddling with this questionnaire, and I think that I need to get it out of my head and into the real world for some knitterly feedback. I am not yet asking anyone to actually respond to the questions; that will come very soon, once I've uploaded it to Survey Monkey (which will happen after I figure out how Survey Monkey works). My goal is to solicit responses sometime towards the end of this week (!!). Right now, what I'm hoping is that some or all of you might be willing (and have time) to read through these questions and tell me a) whether they make sense, and b) whether I'm missing some really obvious question that I absolutely ought to be asking in the final questionnaire. My leaning as a researcher is towards transparency, and towards the involvement of the "research subject" in the research itself: in defining the research question, and in refining the analysis of the data; hence my request for input at this stage.
Also, I should probably mention that I have not had access to incoming email since about 6:30 am yesterday (apparently I can send messages out, though); IITS peformed one of its "updates", the result of which is usually that something breaks catastrophically and leaves me stranded in a world without contact. I'm checking my Ravelry messages, though (which doesn't help at all with the work email that I'm sure is piling up). At least this time I'm not the only person whose email is down, which (I hope) should lead to quicker action.
Updated to add: I just started receiving email in my inbox. Huzzah!
So, without further ado: Questionnaire, Beta Version. (Note, for the purposes of this post, I am not including all of the reassuring verbiage about anonymity etc; it will most definitely be there, though.)
2. Sex: (circle one) Female Male
3. (Circle one): Single Married/Partnered
4. Children? (circle one) Yes No
If yes, how many?
Grandchildren? (circle one) Yes No
If yes, how many?
5. Highest level of education achieved:
High school Associate’s degree Bachelor’s degree Post-graduate degree
6. Annual household income:
< $10,000 $10,000-$25,000 $25,000-$40,000 $40,000-$60,000 $60,000-$80,000 $80,000-$100,000 >$100,000
7. Would you call yourself:
- Someone who knits
- A knitter
8. If you would call yourself “a knitter”, what marked the transition, for you, from being “someone who knits” to being “a knitter”?
9. How old were you when you first learned to knit?
10. How long have you been knitting?
11. Who first taught you how to knit?
12. Why do you continue to knit? What makes knitting so addictive or compelling?
13. What have you learned from knitting?
14. Approximately how many hours a week do you knit? (circle one)
15. How many projects do you generally have on the needles at a time?
1 2-5 6-10 >10
16. Approximately how much money do you spend per month on knitting (e.g. yarn, patterns, needles, bags, notions, etc)?
<$50 $50-100 $100-$250 $250-500 $500-$1,000 >$1,000
17. Do you have a dedicated knitting area in your house?
18. Do you have a stash of yarn? If so, would you call it a small, medium, large, or extra-large stash?
19. Do you also participate in other fiber crafts? (circle all that apply)
20. Where and under what circumstances do you usually knit? (circle all that apply)
At home alone
While watching TV/movies
While listening to the radio/music/audiobooks
At my children’s activities (e.g. sports games, recitals/rehearsals, practices,
While talking to friends
With my knitting group
At my local knitting store
While waiting for appointments (at doctors’ offices, post office, etc)
During meetings at work
On the bus/train/airplane
In airports, bus stations, etc
At the theater
21. If you knit in public (e.g. outside of knitting-oriented venues such as a knitting store, or outside your home), has anyone ever commented on your public knitting? If so, were the comments positive or negative? Can you give some examples?
22. What image do you think non-knitters have of knitters? Do you think it’s generally an accurate image?
23. Who makes up your “knitting community”? How would you define that phrase?
24. How often each week do you interact with other knitters? Where do these interactions take place? (At your local yarn store, knitting group, blogs/blog comments, Ravelry, other?)
25. Where do you get your knitting inspiration (e.g. to try new yarns, patterns, techniques, etc)? (circle all that apply)
My local yarn store
My knitting group
Longer knitting workshops
Knitting conventions (e.g. Stitches West)
26. Are there any topics of conversations or words or phrases that you associate with knitters? If so, can you give some examples?
27. Where do you learn those topics/words/phrases?
28. How many projects, approximately, do you complete each year?
29. What kinds of projects do you usually knit? (circle all that apply)
Household items (pillow covers, tea cozies, etc)
30. For whom do you mostly knit? (circle all that apply)
My immediate family
My extended family
31. Does part of your income come from knitting or fiber-related activity (e.g. pattern-writing, making knitting notions/bags, working at/owning a yarn store, knitting for other people, etc)?
If so, approximately what percentage of your annual income comes from your business, and what form does that business take?
Actual knitting tomorrow -- stay tuned.