So, true story. Friday night is pizza and movie night around here. I was sitting on the couch, watching a movie with Rick and the girls, when I thought I dropped something. I reached under the couch to see if I had, and came up with...an egg. Which I found rather surprising, since we were in the den, and the chickens, so far as I know, do not come into the house to lay eggs. I chalked it up to general weirdness and went on watching. (Upon re-reading this prior to hitting publish, it occurs to me to wonder what that says about the general state of weirdness in our household.)
The next morning, Rick came into the living room, holding up another egg. He'd found it at the foot of the bed, on the floor.
I should be clear here - I'm talking about raw eggs. Not hard-boiled eggs, not Easter eggs, not chocolate eggs (alas). Chicken eggs, of the sort our chickens lay.
Fifteen minutes after Rick had announced his discovery, I heard dog paws clickety-clacketying down the hall, and then heard a rather hollow-sounding plonk at my side. I looked down to see (you guessed it): an egg. And a very pleased-looking Mathilda. Who apparently is under the mistaken impression that she is the Easter bunny.
We haven't had any more special deliveries since then (although, given the under-the-couch egg, I am wondering where and in what state I will find other such "gifts" that I haven't noticed yet). Our best guess is that some of the chickens have stopped laying in the coop (for a while, some of them were very attached to a nest on the side of the house, but then they all figured it out) because one of the chickens has gone broody, and persists in sitting in the nesting box all day, if allowed, making cranky noises at anyone who comes to bother her. I'm guessing that the other hens find it easier to just lay elsewhere, and Tilly wanted to make sure that we weren't missing anything. Never a dull moment around here!
In fiber-related news, I finished my first "real" weaving project. Realizing that I don't wear long rectangular scarves, generally, I knew that I'd need to think of something else to focus my weaving attention on. So I decided to try napkins.
The weft yarn is Plymouth Grass (a 65% cotton/35% hemp yarn). I tried a couple of new things on this project, for fun. I hemstitched each end of the napkins as I came to them (a 2x2 hemstitch).
In the main part of each napkin, I started with leno (alternating 2x2)(you can see it more closely below), and then played around with weft floats using a pick-up stick for the rest of each napkin.
I immediately trucked off to my LYS to get more yarn for more napkins. This time I ended up with a linen warp (Habu, L25/3 linen, 331 meters)(this is a finer-weight yarn than the FibraNatura, so we'll see how that works), and a blended warp (Plymouth Linen Concerto 48% rayon/42% linen/10% cotton; this is the yarn I used for the weft of the scarf that was my first project).
At the same time, I can't help but think of bigger projects, not to mention stash-busting projects (and more on me and my stash and our recent adventures in the next post). I think that I want to weave the girls some blankets. They will, of course, have to be woven in strips, but once I got the idea in my head, it wouldn't go away. And then I remembered a skein of sock yarn that I got when I was in the Rockin' Sock Club a few years ago - a skein that is not at all my sort of colorway, but that Younger Daughter immediately laid claim to. It's been waiting for the right time to get out of stash and into a project for her.
Erica, that I bought because the braid made me think of Younger Daughter (I now realize why).
Meanwhile, I am plugging away at the Northmavine Hoody. Whilst watching Paris-Roubaix this morning, I finished the second sleeve and got it onto the needle with the body stitches and the first sleeve, and am now working on the raglan decreases. Little by little. I keep reminding myself that this is not a project for the faint-of-heart. Not only does it have lots of finishing details still to come (knitting ribbed bands along the fronts and then picking up and knitting an i-cord bind off all the way around the fronts, hood, and bottom of the sweater, then installing a zipper and knitting pockets), but the number of ends to be woven in are astronomical (four ends per every eight rows; I am not kidding). I have been taking time at regular intervals to weave ends in so that they're not all waiting for me. In fact, I believe that the second sleeve and its ends are calling me even as I type.
Well. I think we know the answer to that last one.