As you can see, though, I did finish the Side Impact Sweater this weekend. Or, at least, I finished it once. Then I finished it again. And wearing it to work today, I realize that I need to finish it one more time. (I can't be the only knitter who needs to fuss with things after "finishing" them, right?)
So, you may remember that I saw this sweater at the Yarnover Truck during the San Diego Yarn Crawl, and fell instantly in love with it. Then I saw this yarn (Indigodragonfly in the 20,000 Lawyers Under the Sea colorway), and fell in love with it, too, and decided that the two were meant to be together. The only problem (because there always is one) is that this is a fingering weight yarn, and the pattern calls for something more like DK. But I fussed around, and got something just a bit tighter than the gauge called for, which made a fabric that I liked, so I did some maths and decided that if I knitted it one size up from my planned size, everything would work out fine. And, from a size perspective, it did, indeed.
I knitted it several inches longer than called for, because I knew I wanted a fitted sweater that wouldn't ride up. It took a whole skein (plus a bit of the swatch) to finish the body (whew!), but I got the sleeves and funnel neck done with plenty to spare from the second skein.
Then I realized that the real problem with knitting a sweater that was designed for DK weight with a fingering weight yarn is that fingering weight knit at a looseish gauge isn't going to have the body that a DK weight yarn knit at a tight gauge is going to have. That doesn't matter for the body of the sweater (and, in fact, I like it), but for a funnel neck...
You can see in the first picture that I knitted the neck just a titch longer than the 2.5 inches called for in the pattern; I also decreased about 12 stitches over those three inches, to try to help the neck stand up a bit. Well, it just rolled up like a roller shade and left me with nothing. So, I took out the cast-off edge, picked up the stitches again with a needle a size smaller (three, instead of four), and set off again. I knitted it to 8 inches, and I have this.
Easy Folded Poncho, with which I am lately obsessed - thanks, Ellen.) So I think the plan for tonight is to pick up the stitches from the cast-off, and create an i-cord edging. That messes a bit with the raw edge of the lace, which is part of the charm of the sleeves and bottom hem, but since those edges aren't currently showing (what with the rolling up of the edge and all), I would rather see if I can give it some structure so it will slump becomingly, rather than rolling up. We'll see, and any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
But before I can do that, I have a few other things to get to. Whilst in the Yarnover Truck, I also picked up a skein of Indigodragonfly in the Tardis colorway, for my Dr. Who-obsessed older daughter. She wanted Tardis mitts. I poked around online and wasn't really happy with any of the options. I wanted to do a cable and lace version of the Tardis, but she was charmed by some of the colorwork versions, and I happened to remember a stray skein of white sock yarn in the stash, so I spent some time looking at pictures of the Tardis and playing with my knitting notebook, and came up with this for the backs of the mitts:
I'll be casting on for these as soon as I finish fiddling with my sweater neck.
I also have become a fan of cowls, out of the clear blue, and recently saw a pattern for one that I must have: Song of the Sea. It turns out that the long version needs exactly as much yarn as is in a skein of SeaSilk, and that I have a skein of lovely gray SeaSilk that's been sitting in stash, calling to me, for quite some time. Some things are meant to be...
ETA: And this is why it is so lovely to have knitting friends. One such friend who works here as well popped up to my office to admire the sweater. She suggested turning the neck under, and lo and behold: