Monday, May 19, 2014

Trying to get back in gear

The latest update on the fires is that they are largely contained.  Campus will be re-opening tomorrow, after being closed since the evacuation; commencement has been rescheduled for next weekend (when I won't be able to make it, alas).  Older Daughter's prom has also been rescheduled for a few weeks from now.  So, for those of us whose homes and property managed to escape unscathed, life is starting to get back to normal. 

And I am trying to get my head around how to work posting here into my life in a realistic way.  Not yet sure how to do that (obviously), and I haven't taken any good pictures of knitted finished objects, even though I have been knitting.  The latest is a little sweater, short-sleeved, knitted out of some Blue Skies Silk Alpaca that I got when I was at WEBS in March (I could write a whole ode about how much I loved WEBS); the yarn is a lovely navy blue, and I think I'll wear this one a lot when it's done.

Other things have been happening around here that aren't knitting related.  Just to show a few:
(Photo removed for now)
That's Older Daughter.  With her license.  Who would have thought?  She's loving the independence (which is limited by the fact that we don't have three cars, and have no immediate plans for changing that situation).  And I am loving the fact that I have someone who is currently eager to run errands - I've been waiting for this day...  I'm also loving the days that I have managed to take the train into work so she can take the car to school and pick me up afterwards.  I always loved taking the train when we lived in the Bay Area, but with kid drop-off and pick-up, it hasn't made sense.  I'm hoping to work more of that into my schedule next year.

We also have a new family member:
A friend's son's cat had kittens; I wasn't in the market, exactly, but when she mentioned a gray polydactyl kitten in the litter (check out those extra toes!), I knew that it was fate.
 She likes Rick.
 And she and the big cat are working to reach detente.
 
She wants to be just like him when she grows up.

When she's not sleeping.
Her name is Bastet, and I think she's going to fit in just fine.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to edit the photo of your daughter's license--it shows her full name and address.

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the new driver in your family! Train to work means more knitting (or spinning) time. :)

The sweater is going to be a wonderful addition to your wardrobe.

Finding a routine for blogging time is a challenge, even with the best of intentions.

Dawn in NL said...

I am glad to see you back, and hope you can figure out a way to keep blogging (I enjoy the linguistic stuff as well as the knitting).
The kitten is so cute especially the last photo!
Happy for your family that the disruption was not lasting. Take care.
Dawn

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Oh My! Kitten is SOOOOOO cute!!!!!
Perfect name too!

Allison said...

This post makes me want a kitten.... or at least to squoosh yours. What a cutie!

Congrats to the new driver!

Willow said...

Oh, I do love cats! Welcome, Bastet.

Hurray on the new driver!

EGunn said...

What a cutie! And Bastet is the perfect name, too. It looks from those pictures like detente is not too far off. In our house, it would take months...I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to match a tiny kitten against Mischief. She was ok with shelter kittens for a while, and then suddenly, she was not. Now, she goes into full cat-fight mode at the sight of a strange cat near the house.

I'm glad that the fire is contained, and I love that the "kid" is now picking the parent up from work! I'm sure she loves it, and you get more knitting time...a true win-win!

AlisonH said...

So how big is that sweet kitten now?

Nana Sadie said...

Oh my goodness, a new kitty and I missed it till today?? (Dec 23) What a cutie! I'm sure they're getting along fine now...
(((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

New kitty is adorable!

I miss your knitting and linguistic posts; also think we might have acquaintance with a young Ph.D linguist in common.

Hope you decide to post again.

Diann Lippman
www.knitswithcats.TypePad. com

Unknown said...

You do make an excellent point. Being positive without any concrete action is wishful thinking. On the other hand, being negative with concerted http://awriter.org/essay-writing-services/
action can be self-defeating. Both healthy attitude (grounded in reality) and effective action are needed to maximize the possibility of good results.