Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Day 41: Question and answer

So, I've been wondering, as you do, where the water in the pool goes after it splashes over the wave-reducing edge.  I mean, it has to get back into the pool somehow, right?  Or we'd run out of water (some of the lap swimmers are really splashy). 

Lucky for me, Kivrin is of an equally curious turn of mind, and dove down to the bottom of the pool this morning to confirm: the water is returned through these round white vents (would we call them vents?) that are strategically placed across the pool bottom.

Now my next question is: how is sufficient pressure maintained in whatever lines lead from the drainage troughs to the bottom of the pool to keep the water coming into the pool rather than draining out?

(Please tell me I'm not the only one who spends time wondering about things like this...)

1 comment:

twinsetellen said...

Hydrostatic pressure is my bet, assuming I'm imagining the set up correctly. I'm assuming the drainage trough is very slightly higher in elevation than the water height in the pool, so water pressure alone will be enough to drain them to the bottom of the pool. Of course, the drain pipe remains full of water, right up to the point where the level in the drain pipe is the same height as the level in the pool.

Thanks for the chance to think about this!