Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Progress and plans, and a question

I've made progress on the sleeve on Kivrin's sweater. It's thirteen inches now, and I will be starting the other one this evening. I'm fairly pleased with the way this yarn knits up, and I think that it will wear well, which is a plus with anything for kids.

I also stopped by Yarning For You today (I had an appointment right next door, how could I not go?), and got one skein of Malabrigo laceweight in the Rhodesian colorway (a lovely burnt orangey color; I'll try to post a picture soon -- they don't have it on the color card on that link, but it's a darker version of the glazed carrot colorway). I have been thinking more and more of a pullover that I want to make for myself (this is what happens when I lie awake in bed at night, dreading a confrontational conversation that I need to have with someone, and trying to distract myself). It was going to be fairly simple, just a V-neck, but the more I think about it, the more I think I want to do something a bit more unique. Assuming that my Kiv sweater works out (my first foray into designing anything other than very simple socks), I'll do this one over the winter, once I've finished Bianca's Jacket.

However, since it's going to involve some construction, I thought I'd better play around first to see if it's even possible to do what I want, and whether this yarn is going to work with the kinds of cables I'm visualizing, or whether it knits up at such a fine gauge that I'll be chewing my arms off before I finish. What I have in mind is a pullover with a small four-stranded cable around the bottom. I'll knit the bottom half with the rows going vertically and the cable on one side (which will then be the bottom); with a provisional cast-on, and leaving the end row on the needles, I should be able to work the cables into an upright seam binding the two bits together up the middle of the front. Then I'll pick up stitches along the top end to knit the top in the round, dividing for a v-neck part way up (keeping the cable in the center). The real trick will be to divide the cables to go around the neck (as I have it visualized now). If I do it the way I'm thinking, the only seaming I'll be doing is to get the sleeves into the armholes, which, since I've never done a sweater this way, should be a challenge to figure out anyway. I think I'll be breaking out The Knitter's Handy Guide to Sweater Patterns for some help on when and how much to decrease for that.

So, there's the plan. I'll take two brand-new sock projects with me to the UP (Millicent, and the Boudica socks which I just ordered from Wooly Wonka Fibers), and this skein of yarn to play with. That's gonna do it, right? Of course, then I'm tempted to take the pattern dictionary, and the cable book to see if I can maybe design a knotwork pattern of my own, and it wouldn't be a lot of extra space to include the yarn and pattern for the Icarus I'm planning to make for my aunt (since she flat-out demanded one when she saw mine), and that nice skein of Tofutsies that's been marinating in the stash in case I have time for another pair of socks... Is that overkill (if I'm going carry on)? Oy.

So, the question. How many (and what) knitting projects would you take on a ten-day trip to a camp in the woods, involving (each way) a four-hour flight and about nine-hour car ride? Be honest.

No comments: