Monday, October 29, 2007

Ta-DAH!

It's a funny thing about this sweater. In knitting it, a whole bunch of things came together that I've done before in knitting without the explicit aim of getting to this kind of project. Most of those things weren't even successful, or finished, but without them, this would have been much harder than it was. Last Christmas, I started a pair of Anemoi mittens, which involve two-color stranded work. I love those mittens, and will finish them someday, but I'd intended them to be done for a trip to Tahoe, and didn't finish them in time; once I was done with snow for the year, it was hard to stay motivated. However, that experience definitely taught me a lot about keeping a reasonable amount of tension on yarn while carrying it behind knitting, and without that, I think this would be a much more puckery sweater, or else the floating yarn would be so floaty that it would catch on things.

I knit the sleeves on the sweater using two circular needles; I had never done that before starting the Boudica socks that I'm still working on (I've gotten distracted again, but I'll talk more about that later this week). I'm glad I worked out some of the kinks in dealing with two circulars before trying it with two balls of yarn. I think this could have been extremely painful otherwise. And, of course, if knitting socks has done nothing else, it has taught me how to pick up stitches neatly, and the difference between a ssk and k2tog decrease (btw, I think that knitting socks has done far more than that; but I will save the paean to sock knitting for another day).

And finally, knitting lace has taught me (the hard way) about the joys of blocking, and what it can do for a final product. I think I've mentioned that when I knit my first two big lace projects, I didn't know from blocking. Mind you, I also had no close friends who knit, no knitting mentors, as it were, to knock me over the head and shout things at me like, "Water and pins, you dolt! Water and pins!" When I finally figured it out, I was in awe. Icarus just wouldn't have been the same without blocking. This is also true of Kauni. It was a bit clingy and stiff, but a good soak in some water and wool wash from The Loopy Ewe (loving that wool wash!), plus a solid set of pins, did wonders. Of course, it took absolutely forever to dry (I almost wore it out to dinner on Saturday anyway, but I figured that smelling like a wet sheep wouldn't make the other patrons of my favorite Ethiopian restaurant happy, and I'd hate for them to lose business on my account).
There it is, pinned out. And here it is, on me (note: taking pictures of yourself in a mirror is difficult).
The colors don't show too well (flash really doesn't work in a mirror), but the fit does. It's boxy and comfortable, which is what I was going for.

In case you all were wondering why I'm so damned excited by this whole thing, I should mention that this is my first completed adult-sized sweater. It is also my first completed colorwork object (I don't count stripes), and the first thing I've knitted with steeks (still waiting for the SPROING!). So, ttthhhhpbt!

Later this week, I will discuss the commencement of the Holiday Knitting Madness, which I am trying to downgrade this year to mere Holiday Knitting Nuttiness. Meanwhile, I'm going to go back to trying to adjust my syllabi to make up for a missing week, while still not knowing what the provost is going to tell us we should do about it; apparently the fact that I have to face my classes tomorrow means nothing to the administration. Sigh...

9 comments:

hopalong682003 said...

Oh, you should be so proud!!! Your sweater is amazing. Congratulations.

Helen said...

That's absolutely terrific. Don't tell anyone, but I think it's better than the cardigan.

Marianne said...

That is one very beautiful and impressive sweater! Gorgeous! and so well done!
I just love those Anemoi mittens, I hope you finish them sometime.

I love the knitting process, the little projects that end up leading to the Big One... and using all those 'tricks of the trade' you learned on the little ones... but wow... steeks.

Good luck with your classes tomorrow... sigh.

april said...

wow! beautiful! i haven't really tackled two-color (or multi-color) knitting, beyond something like a simple dishcloth. i'm impressed!

adrienne said...

the sweater is gorgeous! really wonderful, especially for a first try at all that stuff.

ikkinlala said...

It looks great!

Stell said...

Oh my, K is beautiful, and you have worked in all those new techniques like a pro. I am in awe at the effect of the colours and the v neck steek - I've only ever done simple straight steeks - planning that was an act of genius. I hope you have a cold brisk winter coming so you can show off every day!

Natalie said...

Its lovely - I'm mildly obsessed with this yarn!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! That sweater is totally 1000% gorgeous!!!! I think I would wear it every day for the rest of my life and be buried in it when I died!!! Okay, since I am a fellow San Diegan, I happen to know that the Santa Ana's are coming back this weekend, and it's supposed to be in the upper 80s, so you MIGHT not want to wear it....but if you do, I totally support you!!! Congratulations on a work of art! - Kim