Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Day 26: Toni Morrison

I woke up this morning to the news that Toni Morrison has passed away.  I was going to say "that the world has lost a truly great writer", but, thank god, she has left us words to savor and to roll around on our tongues and in our minds, and I am grateful.  There's a lot I want to say when I can, but for now, I'll let those words speak for themselves.

“Our past is bleak. Our future dim. But I am not reasonable. A reasonable man adjusts to his environment. An unreasonable man does not. All progress, therefore, depends on the unreasonable man. I prefer not to adjust to my environment. I refuse the prison of ‘I’ and choose the open spaces of ‘we’.”   - Toni Morrison, Mouth Full of Blood

1 comment:

Lori said...

I've never read Mouth Full of Blood -- how did I miss it, so thank you for the quote....which is astonishing. As she was astonishing. Like you, so much to say, but unlike you, I'll probably be unable to say it. I look forward to your words. XO