Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Day 54: Back at work

One of the interesting differences between summer and the semester, for me, isn't really the amount of work - I do work more during the school year, obviously, but I also work during the summer - it's being around people all the time again.  Often the same people (academic departments and colleges are like families - you're with the same people for decades - and, like families, they are more and less functional, depending on their composition at any given time).

Two quotes* that have kept running through my head last week and this week:

Hurt people hurt people. 
Buddha would love boundaries.

They go together, right?



*Dudes, I'm an academic.  I have tried to get good attributions for these, but I can't!  I've always heard the first in the context of AA, and the second I have heard attributed to Pema Chodron.  My apologies to the originators of these sentiments, if it is someone other than these.

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

One of the things I love about working from home is that I don't have to be social. But oddly, it's one of the things that I also miss about going into the office. There were people I absolutely couldn't stand, but there were a few who were great, and it's odd not seeing them almost every day

Martin said...

God bless