Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Day 55: Books

I have a book problem.  In the sense that there are more books than I have time to read, and also in the sense that I tend to collect books that I want to read, even though I haven't read all the other books that I've collected that I want to read.  Two more are winging their way to me right now:

Language, Gender, and Sexuality (Scott Kiesling)  (I'm letting myself a little off the hook on this one; I'm teaching my language and gender class this semester, and I have a student doing an independent study on language and queering cisgendered masculinities, so it seemed like a good resource for both of us, and our library network didn't have it, so...)

World as Lover, World as Self, Joanna Macy (this one's just for me)

What's on your book list right now?

1 comment:

twinsetellen said...

I've been pondering the fuck out of this. Actually, I'm really uncomfortable writing this - it is so ingrained in me that this is rude and crass and yet I admire many of the people I hear using the F word so frequently these days. Why? Is it like eating bugs? We learn as small children what is bad and it is hard to overcome those ingrained notions, some of which would actually protect us in a dangerous world and some of which are just silly?

My usual critique of over-use of this word is "it's so unoriginal". So is my "Darn it!" any more original? It's just a word. But so is "girl", and it really makes me mad when people refer to anyone over the age of 17-18 as "girl". That's just a word, too.

Oh, yes, context. And intention.

Thanks for the steady stream of posts. You are definitely engaging at least me and making me think!