Tuesday, April 28, 2009

In which technology fails me

Yet again.

I actually had time to post this past weekend, and plans to do so as well. Which isn't to say that it wasn't a busy weekend. On Saturday morning, the girls and I got up fairly early and headed to the farmer's market, where we bought all kinds of goodies, including three ears of corn (seriously, who has corn out this time of year? I must admit I'm wondering how good it'll be, but I had to try) and nopalitos that I'll be cooking up for dinner tonight (once I remove all the little thorns). Mmm... Not to mention the lovely fresh asparagus and English peas. I adore English peas.

Then it was off to a soccer game (and can I just say that I really hate it when we have soccer games at elementary schools whose bathrooms aren't open? way uncool), and from there straight to a birthday party quite some distance away. Home for a few hours, then back out again across that distance to pick Older Daughter up, then out to dinner with some friends. Whew!

Sunday was a bit calmer, but it included a (longer than I thought it'd be) bowling fundraiser (Bowling for the Animals; it raises money for a spay and neuter program), which was great fun, but from which I'm still recovering (turns out I must do some funny thing with my forward leg when I bowl -- my muscles hurt). I got to knit during the game, and during the raffle part of the bowling. I also got a comment from one dad during the soccer game who declared that I couldn't possibly knit during the game -- I'd drop a stitch. I told him I only knit simple stuff, to which he replied "Ah. Knit purl knit purl." (I'm imagining a knitting mother or grandmother somewhere in his history.) To which I responded, "Nope. Knit knit knit knit." Either way, I got a lot done. I even got to think about the new (very simple) lace project I wanted to start.

But here's the rub. I had no internet access. Nope, nary a bit nor a byte was moving across the ether. I rebooted every little box in the house associated with the internet (and probably even a few that aren't), to no avail. I called Rick, who suggested that I should reboot all the little boxes. I did it again just to humor him. Nada. I decided that I would just have to reach back into the depths of my brain to remember what it was like during the Dark Ages, when there was no internet, and to survive the weekend by relying on those things which don't require electricity, let alone a cable connection: books and knitting (not to mention kids). I will admit that it was rather disconcerting to notice how often I reflexively head to my computer to check email. It made me kind of glad that I was on an inadvertent ban, and it also made me wonder whether I shouldn't schedule some enforced down-time. But that's another post.

Rick got back into town on Sunday night and called our cable company. It turns out that the problem was quite simple. They'd decided to stop supporting our modem. Without warning. Oh. Well, if that's how you feel about it.

Sigh.

But it's back up and running, and a day has gotten me caught up on email, and this afternoon I finally got a chance to take a few pictures of what I'm working on so I could share. And then my camera wiped everything off of its little chip in one fell swoop.

Sigh.

I don't have the energy to retake all of the photos, but I did finally convince the camera to take, retain, and download a couple of pictures, and I'll share those and then retire from the ring, bowed and bloody and cursing the name Technology.

First, the linen shell.

AAARGH!! Internal errors! Fire! Destruction! The desolation of Smaug! (Oh, wait, that last one is leaking in from our bedtime reading.)

No pictures today, apparently. Trust me, the shell is now about five inches past the joining below the armscye. I also had a credit at The Loopy Ewe and got myself this, and am having a great time playing around with it to find the perfect stitch for a little shoulder-covering stole, and if you want me, you can find me curled up in a corner as far away from anything with a plug as I can get.

14 comments:

Mary Lou said...

My camera won't open now - the built in lens cap stays closed. And my internet was on the fritz. Must be something in the ether!

Wanderingcatstudio said...

That's lovely yarn... hope your tech troubles get fixed soon

Jane said...

The children can't believe we grew up without these things, but I know I certainly miss them when they don't

Nana Sadie said...

I'm saying a quick prayer to the computer gods...can't afford technological breadowns....

I hope your's are now behind you!
SEA SILK?
wheee!!!
(((hugs)))

Willow said...

I had problems yesterday with my computer! The Professor laid hands on it and miraculously (well almost, he backed up EVERYTHING, and then turned it off and on) it is better again. Maybe this is a message for us to get on with the knittingknittingknitting and ignore technology for a bit.

Your weekend sounds like it was busier than I like. Glad you had a good time.

EGunn said...

I'm sorry about your technology blip! I love it when I can put the computer away for a weekend (and it's even better when I can convince Branden to, also!). Somehow I spend a lot more quality time when email isn't within arm's reach, though it is annoying when unexpected. Hopefully it will all be back together again soon! (Especially because I want to see pictures...)

EGunn said...

I'm sorry about your technology blip! I love it when I can put the computer away for a weekend (and it's even better when I can convince Branden to, also!). Somehow I spend a lot more quality time when email isn't within arm's reach, though it is annoying when unexpected. Hopefully it will all be back together again soon! (Especially because I want to see pictures...)

Lynne said...

Isn't technology wonderful? [when it's working properly] Ah well, more knitting time, eh? And self-examination: has to be a good thing, right?

Glad to see you're back online!

Rachel said...

I think time away from anything electric should be mandatory in our schedule. Oh and can we include those cell phones in the no no items at these precious times too?

I must adopt this idea, I have so many books waiting to be read!

Alwen said...

edges a little away from you, in case it's catchingThese days, I completely know how my great-grama felt, who grew up with no telephone, no running water in the house, no electricity.

AlisonH said...

But if I type this, then you'll get that little "you've got mail" ping and how will you resist coming back to read it? Heh.

Gwen said...

Funny how life goes on (and on and on), even without the internet.

Plugs and batteries too.

Bea said...

Oh no. So much crazy with the internet connections. Sort of sucks that they just decided to stop supporting it and not bother telling anyone. At least you made it through the weekend.

juliet said...

I think just splurging on the handmaiden (seriously gorgeous)
is very restrained under the circumstances - hope it all gets better soon