Monday, May 9, 2011

A day late

I do have pictures of Daybreak to share, and I had a busy and fun weekend, but I think that today I want to wish a belated happy mother's day to all of you who are mothers and to those of you who have mothers.  And to my mom, of course.

I spent some time yesterday at various periods trying to think of what to write about my own mother on mother's day (or the day after mother's day, as the case may be); I don't know about you, but there's something daunting about trying to describe someone so important.  There are so many things I could say.  I could say she's classy (you've all seen the pictures, you know what I mean).  I could say that she's generous and thoughtful, always the first to laugh at a joke (although the last to remember one).  I could say that I have never seen anyone leave her house hungry.  She gets by on less sleep than anyone I know, and gets more done, too.  And she's always up for whatever's going on - you couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic and willing partner in adventure.  I could say all of those things, and more. 

But if I had to boil it down to the heart of the matter, I would say two things.  Because of my mother, I have always known that I am strong enough, all by myself, to take on anything that I have to; I can stand on my own two feet in the face of any challenge.  But, because of my mother, I also know that I don't have to; she's right there behind me, all the way.  And in the end, I think that says it all.

Happy mother's day, mom!

10 comments:

Lynne said...

Happy Mothers' Day to you too.

Your mother certainly gave you a great foundation for life and I'm sure you, in turn, will pass that can-do on to your own girls. What a wonderful legacy your mother has.

Willow said...

A perfect tribute to your mom~

And a belated happy mother's day to you too...

lori said...

gosh. what mother wouldn't love to have those words said about her!! you're very lucky, and so is she (and so are your daughters, for that matter). what a gorgeous photo of three generations of beautiful smiles. :)

Mary Lou said...

What a beautiful tribute to your mother, and such a great picture. Your daughters will treasure both someday.

twinsetellen said...

Happy belated mother's day to you, too!

EGunn said...

Happy mother's day! I'm sure your mom appreciates the tribute. =)

Nana Sadie said...

I think your explanation of what your mom is to you, also shines beautifully in your mothering of the two daughters you have. If she engendered strength in her daughter you have passed that on to your girls...

This is a perfect gift to your mom. Happy (belated) Mother's Day to you both!
(((Hugs)))

Gwen said...

Happy Mothers Day!!!

Anonymous said...

Well said! May your mom have a very long life with excellent health and sharp mind.

Anonymous said...

OK, it is Thursday now and I am waiting for Daybreak!!
That was the first pattern I knitted from Stephen West, and I was so impressed with the details and thoroughness in his pattern-writing. I've had many compliments on that shawl and every one I've seen in any colorway was been lovely...
Beverly near Yosemite - where we are now in the 80's during the day...