Sunday, July 21, 2019

Day 11: It's that time of year

July in this house, as the girls have long known, means one thing:

The Tour.  (Known to the rest of the world as the Tour de France.)

Three solid weeks of actual reality TV - you couldn't script this stuff.  Four jersey competitions, plus best team.  Alliances made and abandoned.  Each day, the questions: who will the team ride for?  Is it a mountain day? A sprint day?  What do you mean your team is riding for two possible yellow jersey contenders?  It's fantastic.  Not to mention the insane spectators, who are right there on the side of the road - madness.  And all with beautiful scenery!

Are we the only ones?  Anyone else cheering Alaphilippe?  This is where my love of the underdog comes out.  Last year, I was all in for Geraint Thomas - it was so exciting to see him get to win.  This year, I'm feeling the same way about Julian Alaphilippe.  Rick just shakes his head and says it's a long way to Paris.

2 comments:

twinsetellen said...

This is what the Iditarod is for me. And for a viewer in MN, the Iditarod comes at the perfect time. It is usually too yucky and cold outside to play in very early March, and often no good skiing snow to make the cold worthwhile, so following the race is an excellent distraction until Spring finally starts to show up (surprise, that didn't happen until mid-May this year...).

I very much understand the way this real reality television can captivate. One event a year seems to be enough for me, though, so I've never gotten into the Tour very heavily. I hope you continue to have fun with it.

Wanderingcatstudio said...

Around a lot of the knitting community, it's the tour de fleece... I don't take part, but every year, Mom peddles her feet off spinning yarn!