Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Day 76: Octopodes follow-up

I told my students about the plural of octopus (octopodes, for those who missed the earlier post)(or who missed the footnote about this).  They always find it entertaining (or, they find me entertaining because I'm so entertained by the whole thing)(I take what I can get).  The next class, one of the students indignantly informed me that her partner, upon being told about octopodes, asked what that meant for the plural of centipede?  She was annoyed (he harshed her buzz).  I was delighted.  What a great question!  I love great questions.  But I told her that I don't think it changes anything for centipede, because I believe that centipede derives from a Latin root (rather than a Greek one). 

Yep.  I just checked. Latin, ergo (ha!) centipedes.

But still octopodes*.


*With, in case I forgot to mention it, antepenultimate stress. 

2 comments:

Wanderingcatstudio said...

I still love that word... Octopodes!

twinsetellen said...

Octopodes is good, antepenultimate stress is even better.