Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Day 103: Yarn!

So, I don't know if you remember the lovely braid of BFL/silk (75/25) I got last spring at Northwest Yarns in Bellingham Washington?  Well, it turned into this:
It's the Bold Spectrum colorway from Elemental Fiberworks; I'd definitely spin with their fiber again, it was beautifully prepared, and the results are lovely.  The colors aren't quite right (I'm taking this at night) - they're more vibrant than I've captured here.  I spun it worsted and then, in order to preserve the gradient, I chain-plied it.  I haven't yet figured out the weight, but it looks like maybe sport, to me?
 It's not always my favorite way to ply - any unevennesses in the singles run the risk of being emphasized, but I really don't know another way to preserve these long color runs quite so well.  In the event, I think it turned out to be fairly even. 
I'm actually quite pleased with that, given that this is my first spinning project in a really long time.  It's destined to be a hat for Kivrin, so it'll be heading back up to the northwest as soon as it's knitted up.  I'm thinking just a plain stockinette beanie, unless anyone has another suggestion?

1 comment:

twinsetellen said...

It would be swell to work that gorgeous yarn in a way that preserved pools of the intense colors. Maybe a sideways knit hat, shaped with short rows?